Warning Signs For Suicidal Thoughts In Teens
One of the leading causes of death among teens is suicide. As a parent equipped with this shocking fact, it becomes necessary for you to take all the necessary steps to ensure that your child does not become part of the statistics. The tragic part about suicide in teens is that it is something that is preventable, and yet a lot of teens are committing suicide. Most suicides can be linked to psychiatric or emotional disorders such as bipolar disorder, depression and schizophrenia, just to mention a few.
Having a Good Relationship With Your Teen
It is crucial for parents to have a good relationship with their children. That way, your teen will be able to talk to you about anything, no matter how bad or embarrassing it might be. Apart from having a good relationship with your teenage kids, you should also be the type of parent that can quickly detect if something is wrong with your child. As a parent of a teenager, you should be aware of warning signs of depression and suicide. Early detection of these warning signs can actually avoid a situation where your teenager becomes part of the statistics.
When it comes to suicide in teens, as a parent you should be aware of the following signs that your child might be depressed and might be contemplating suicide:
- Withdrawing from family and friends- If you notice that all of a sudden your teen does not want to associate with other people, and just wants to be alone, do not just ignore these signs.
- Being rebellious- Although it is a well-known fact that teenagers can be rebellious, if you notice that the behavior is something more than the ordinary teenage rebellion, you need to take the necessary steps.
- Relationship issues- It is always important to pay attention to what will be happening in your teen’s romantic relationship.
- All of a sudden giving away of possessions or gifts.
- A sudden drop in school grades.
- Change in eating habits- Emotional eating is not just prevalent in adults, it is also very common in teens. If you notice that your teen is all of a sudden gaining or losing weight, or the portion sizes have changed drastically, do not ignore such signs.
- Abusing alcohol and drugs.
- Having trouble sleeping or sleeping too much.
- Talking of suicide- Your teen might do this even jokingly.
These are just some of the warning signs for suicidal thoughts in teens. The key is good communication skills and being involved as much as you can in your teen’s life.
Follow Us on Successful Parenting Today For More Great Articles on Parenting and More!